hazard-herald.com

Hazard High School evacuates for electrical fire

Amelia Holliday — Staff Reporter

November 8, 2013

HAZARD—Students at Hazard High School were evacuated Friday afternoon after a dryer caught fire in one of the classrooms.


The Hazard Fire Department responded to a call at around 2 p.m. that a fire alarm had been activated in the building. Officials on the scene said the cause of the fire was electrical, adding that a loaded dryer in one of the classrooms had caught fire. Minor damage was reported to the building, and no one was injured.


Students were evacuated to The Forum; though they were allowed to go back into the building to retrieve their belongings and were instructed by officials with the fire department to stay in the gym until dismissal.


Superintendent Sandra Johnson said students would be dismissed at the regular time.