Fire destroys Maple Street house
Amelia Holliday Staff Reporter email@example.com
HAZARD—A nearly 100-year-old house was destroyed Thursday night after a fire devoured the structure.
The Hazard Fire Department received a call at 11:22 p.m. Thursday that the residence at 332 Maple Street in Hazard was on fire, Fire Chief Sam Stacy said.
“When they first got there they found fire in the basement, and it soon progressed up the wall and into the attic,” Stacy explained.
Firefighters had the fire out in about two hours, Stacy said, though they were unable to salvage the house. He attributed these difficulties to the age of the structure and the frigid temperatures that night.
“It was just an older house, and that type of construction made it faster than normal, really,” he said.
Stacy said the recent single digit—and at times subzero—temperatures have made fighting fires even more difficult than the job already is.
“As soon as you sprayed the water it pretty much froze, and then that makes it really difficult to put any kind of a fire out,” Stacy said. “Plus, you have people that are trying to hold the fire hose, and they’re slipping and sliding on the ice, too. So, it complicates every aspect of it.”
Stacy said no one was injured in the fire as the house was unoccupied at the time, and no other structures were damaged.
“That’s unusual inside of a town because most houses are pretty close, and that one was not really close to anything. It was actually sitting by itself in the middle of a parking lot,” he said.
Amelia Holliday can be reached at 606-436-5771, or on Twitter @HazardHerald.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices